Atherstone Campus takes safeguarding and the well-being of children extremely seriously. We have robust systems to keep children safe and ensure those that may seek to harm or injure students are kept off our Campus.
Access to the site
- All visitors must sign in as they arrive at the school.
- There is only one entrance to the school via electronic gates that are operated by the reception staff.
- If anyone on the site sees any entrance open they have a duty of care to close it and report it.
- Children are reminded that they also have a duty to check gates and report any that are left open.
- Supply teachers will have had identification and clearance details sent by the agency in advance. Without this, they are unable to have access to the school.
- There must not be any visitors on the site that have not been approved by the Headteacher or Trustees.
Our safety system – The Single Central Register (SCR)
Every person that comes into contact with our students has had rigorous checks which are then recorded on our SCR. These include:
- Teaching staff
- Support staff
- Agency staff
- External specialist PE teachers (swimming etc)
All staff and volunteers are checked for appropriateness on application. No adult will have any contact with students without these checks being successfully cleared. Any attempt to circumnavigate these protocols will be treated with the highest level of seriousness. The checks carried out are:
- Proof of Identity
- Right to Work
- DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service)
- On application of a new DBS, all staff are registered on the Annual Update Service
- TRA Teaching prohibition, sanction and restriction checks
- Secretary of State section 128 direction check re management positions
- Overseas check (if applicable)
No member of staff may be appointed without at least one member of the appointment panel having current ‘safer recruiting’ accreditation. For more information on safer recruitment guidance visit –https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/safeguarding-children-and-safer-recruitment-in-education
Staff – Safety and Training
All new staff have induction upon appointment. The Designated Safeguarding Lead will complete the latest child protection training for new staff as well as the annual refresher training to all current staff.
Staff are issued and must wear a Atherstone Campus identification badge. Visitors to the site will be issued either a Visitors, Volunteers or Governor’s badge when they sign in at the reception. Any adult on site not wearing ID must be challenged by any member of staff. Any person unable to provide identification must be reported immediately.
Students know that if they have any issues- however small they can speak to a teacher. We encourage and develop a system of openness. All issues are referred to the Designated Safeguarding Lead or their Deputy and appropriate records are kept in line with current legislation.
Child protection and safeguarding is everybody’s concern and as such it is important that each and every one of us reports any concerns